I hope it's not too soon for this, but if you can expand your mind a bit, you'll be very rewarded with this clip from Yeasayer, an "experimental" band from Brooklyn, NY. Yeasayer's first album, "All Hour Cymbals" reminded me of various completely different bands: Midnight Oil, MGMT, and Fleet Foxes, just to name a few. Blending those different sounds would seem unnatural but hasn't been for them. Their music is full of interesting harmonies, arrangements and killer grooves.
Add in la Blogotheque, one of the best websites. Period. The Blogotheque films what they like to call "take away shows" - unique videos capturing musicians out of their element, performing in an unusual setting or manner. It's a dirth of incredible performances by some of the best acts out there, and well worth exploring.
Perhaps my favourite of all their videos is the Yeasayer clip for "No Need to Worry / Red Cave", performed accapella in a Paris subway. Obviously missing from "No Need" is the tremendous musical breakdown that journeys the song's latter half, but the version of "Red Cave" that follows, jubilant and quite drunken, does justice to the joy that ends the song.
I'm So Blessed to Have Spent the Time / With My Family / And the Friends I've Loved In My Short Life / I Have Had / So Many People I Deeply Care For
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment